As a historian with major teaching fields in both the medieval and modern Middle East, and substantial background and research in cultural linkages, I am prepared to teach a variety of courses on the Middle East/North Africa, as well as broader courses of interest on the Mediterranean, the Silk Route, and the Indian Ocean world.
Courses I have taught:
- The Middle East from WWI to the Syrian Civil War (St. Edward’s University, Spring and Fall 2017)
- Introduction to the Middle East: Religious, Cultural, Historical Foundations (University of Texas at Austin, Summer 2017); as The Middle East from Muhammad to the Mongols (St. Edward’s University, Spring 2019).
- Introduction to the Middle East and North Africa (St. Edward’s University, Spring 2018)
- Modern Egypt (St. Edward’s University, Spring 2019)
- Terrorism and Extremism (St. Edward’s University, Fall 2018)
Survey/Lower Division courses I am prepared to teach:
- History of Islamic Civilizations, 600-1500
- The Silk Route
- The Indian Ocean World
- History of Islamic Spain
- The Medieval Mediterranean
- History of the Ottoman Empire
- Introduction to Islam
- Introduction to the contemporary Middle East/North Africa
I am also prepared to teach world history surveys focusing on the period from Late Antiquity to the present.
Upper Division/Graduate courses I am prepared to teach:
- Terrorism and Extremism (this is a globally focused course)
- The Middle East from WWI to Da’esh
- Modern Egypt
- World War I in the Middle East
- Comparative Statebuilding: Egypt, Turkey, and Iran